Monday, October 4, 2010

Meeting the Newbies: STAC 2010/2011's First Trip

So, Friday to me felt like the real 'First day of STAC'. I feel like STAC doesn't start until we become a whole class rather than a collective students that take STAC as an elective. The way the group wound up was rather interesting. There were 9 of us: 3 Oldies, 6 Newbies. That was a 1:2 ratio, which I felt was good. It was a way for Newbies to find social connections in STAC and for oldies to find ways to make the year prosper.

I feel like I really got to know the new people in STAC, at least, the ones in my group.

It consisted of

Oldies:
Myself
Leah
Mairead

Newbies:
Jared
Julie
Ellen
Sarah
Febia
Shiana

Before the trip I had known Jared and Febia but not the freshmen. It was interesting to discover how much we had in common during the trip. Shiana, Mariead and I spent at least an hour in the Matisse exhibit together, pointing out the subtle differences in paintings and trying to understand what he was doing. One thing in particular I noticed was Matisse's placement of hips in his work. They always seem to be distorted into a different perspective. We also took notice of how Matisse progressed towards less and less detail, especially in the charcoals where the drawings were erased and then redone in blocky shapes. It was rather interesting to see this progression.

Words almost fail me to describe La Cage though. There were cross-dressers abundant, plenty of gay jokes. My kinda show, and what a wonderful way to end the STAC trip, almost symbolic. We had all been separate and off on our own before the trip similarly to the characters in La Cage and we all came together in the end like a happy family.

This was a wonderful trip. I can't wait until the 22nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment