Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Reed and Editing

Yes. I love having my work ripped open like a ripe banana and peeled apart to get to the sweet center of what we are really looking for. Reed has a different style of editing than most people who I have come across in my life as a writer. No only is he careful about what he says, he does his best to preserve the work while getting the editee to learn what looks good and what does not so that the self-evaluation process happens along with the writing. Having us read aloud to our peers, each and every one of us, our unfinished product was something that felt good. No one had anything particularly much. Jared, Ashley and I were the only ones who had written and Jared had not brought his work in, but just the who discussion of my work in general really gave me more of a drive to get more done with my work. Ashley did happen to argue a lot with Reed over the point of view of her story. She wanted to break the fourth wall repeatedly with her character and was rather stubborn upon the idea despite Reed trying to explain that it turns the reader off because it distances them from the story and does not allow them to get caught up in the writing. I'm not saying she was wrong to argue her point, actually it was very informative because it got Reed to read something of his to show her the use of first person. There was a lot there, just hearing his writing explained so much about Reed as a person and I thought that I rather liked that. The fact that he was able to pour so much of himself into the small section that he showed us was really something that we could all learn from. For next week he wants 1,500 words. Hell will probably freeze over before I stop at 1,500. I really am loving this workshop. It really is starting to feel like more and more of a reward.

1 comment:

  1. Most excellent. I like your description of what was happening in the workshop specifically.

    Amazing how in even a small bit of writing the author comes through... all art is a self-protrait!

    ReplyDelete